Welcome to BookBoardz.com!
FAQFAQ    SearchSearch      ProfileProfile    Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in

Ideas for honorverse space navy improvements?

 
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
   Book Forums (Home) -> David Weber RSS
Next:  DPRK and Emmanuel Goldstein...  
Author Message
dsample

External


Since: Jul 01, 2004
Posts: 312



(Msg. 31) Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:12 am
Post subject: Re: Ideas for honorverse space navy improvements? [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: alt>books>david-weber (more info?)

In article ,
Dahak wrote:

> On Tue, 01 Jan 2008 15:39:01 -0500, an orbiting mind-control laser
> made Don Sample write:
>
> >> Recall that the /Harvest Joy/, a ship expressly designed to
> >> explore potentially random spots took a vague, but significant,
> >> non-trivial amount of time to determine her position upon her arrival
> >> at Lynx.
> >
> >Which was something that was patently silly.
>
> So... you'll ignore it.
>
> OK, how long do you expect it should take to do an all-sky survey,
> filter out the hundred brightest stars, then develop detailed enough
> spectrograms on each one to run against your database?

It took you longer to ask that question than the actual operation should
take.

The most time consuming part of it would be reading the position your
computer gives you off its display.

--
Quando omni flunkus moritati
Visit the Buffy Body Count at <http://homepage.mac.com/dsample/>

 >> Stay informed about: Ideas for honorverse space navy improvements? 
Back to top
Login to vote
dahak_ii

External


Since: Jul 03, 2003
Posts: 132



(Msg. 32) Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:23 am
Post subject: Re: Ideas for honorverse space navy improvements? [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

On Tue, 01 Jan 2008 19:12:44 -0500, an orbiting mind-control laser
made Don Sample write:

>It took you longer to ask that question than the actual operation should
>take.
>
>The most time consuming part of it would be reading the position your
>computer gives you off its display.

Ooo... good, detailed answer.

Thank you, ever so much.


-JPB

 >> Stay informed about: Ideas for honorverse space navy improvements? 
Back to top
Login to vote
Brian McDonald

External


Since: Dec 02, 2006
Posts: 299



(Msg. 33) Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:49 am
Post subject: Re: Ideas for honorverse space navy improvements? [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

On Tue, 01 Jan 2008 14:02:35 -0500, Don Sample
wrote:


>> At detonation ranges, any missiles with a decent chance of hitting
>> the target are no longer actually maneuvering defensively: they're
>> busy settling into a direct approach so that they can sight their
>> target, which simplifies the PD firing solution immensely - there's
>> little to no bearing change.
>
>Even if it can't change its vector by much, just cutting the drive at
>some point during that 1/10 of a second makes it a pretty much
>impossible targeting problem.
>
>And a tenth of a second is a very long time, even for current computers.
>The missile can make a random vector change, and then spend the next
>.099999 seconds finding its target, aiming at it and then detonating.


ok think i got what was bothering me. bomb pumped xray lasers depend
on those laser tubes to generate their beams of doom. from what i've
read those things need to be perfectly aligned to work right and by
perfectly i mean within very very tiny tolerances. seems to me that
building something like that to withstand high speed maneuvering is
going to be somewhere between incredibly difficult and just plain
impossible. i don't think they can really do any terminal maneuvering
without rendering themselves largely ineffective as weapon over this.
 >> Stay informed about: Ideas for honorverse space navy improvements? 
Back to top
Login to vote
dsample

External


Since: Jul 01, 2004
Posts: 312



(Msg. 34) Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:52 am
Post subject: Re: Ideas for honorverse space navy improvements? [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

In article
,
Ben H wrote:

> On Jan 1, 4:21 pm, Dahak
> wrote:
> > On Tue, 01 Jan 2008 15:39:01 -0500, an orbiting mind-control laser
> > made Don Sample write:
> >
> > >> Recall that the /Harvest Joy/, a ship expressly designed to
> > >> explore potentially random spots took a vague, but significant,
> > >> non-trivial amount of time to determine her position upon her arrival
> > >> at Lynx.
> >
> > >Which was something that was patently silly.
> >
> > So... you'll ignore it.
> >
> > OK, how long do you expect it should take to do an all-sky survey,
> > filter out the hundred brightest stars, then develop detailed enough
> > spectrograms on each one to run against your database?
> >
> > -JPB
>
>
> *shrug*
> I'm just an amateur astronomer, so there might be better informed
> heads in these lofty circles, but analyzing just the brightest
> _hundred_ stars shouldn't be difficult, or time consuming at all. The
> warships after all carry optics capable of picking up a mere spaceship
> at considerable ranges, running a spectrogram on a particularly bright
> star should be easy.
>
> The problem comes with figuring out just what the hell that means.
> Sure I can say "Betelgeuse is over there, and thirty degrees east of
> it there's Arcturus" but thats not significantly useful, without
> already having a strong indication of where you're at.
> You need to have a good idea of how far you are from these stars
> before their positions in the "sky" are of great use.


Two stars will put you somewhere on the surface of a shell. Add a third,
and you've got yourself a point.

--
Quando omni flunkus moritati
Visit the Buffy Body Count at <http://homepage.mac.com/dsample/>
 >> Stay informed about: Ideas for honorverse space navy improvements? 
Back to top
Login to vote
robertaw

External


Since: Oct 03, 2004
Posts: 80



(Msg. 35) Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:52 am
Post subject: Re: Ideas for honorverse space navy improvements? [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

In article ,
Don Sample wrote:

> In article
> ,
> Ben H wrote:
>
> > On Jan 1, 4:21 pm, Dahak
> > wrote:
> > > On Tue, 01 Jan 2008 15:39:01 -0500, an orbiting mind-control laser
> > > made Don Sample write:
> > >
> > > >> Recall that the /Harvest Joy/, a ship expressly designed to
> > > >> explore potentially random spots took a vague, but significant,
> > > >> non-trivial amount of time to determine her position upon her arrival
> > > >> at Lynx.
> > >
> > > >Which was something that was patently silly.
> > >
> > > So... you'll ignore it.
> > >
> > > OK, how long do you expect it should take to do an all-sky survey,
> > > filter out the hundred brightest stars, then develop detailed enough
> > > spectrograms on each one to run against your database?
> > >
> > > -JPB
> >
> >
> > *shrug*
> > I'm just an amateur astronomer, so there might be better informed
> > heads in these lofty circles, but analyzing just the brightest
> > _hundred_ stars shouldn't be difficult, or time consuming at all. The
> > warships after all carry optics capable of picking up a mere spaceship
> > at considerable ranges, running a spectrogram on a particularly bright
> > star should be easy.
> >
> > The problem comes with figuring out just what the hell that means.
> > Sure I can say "Betelgeuse is over there, and thirty degrees east of
> > it there's Arcturus" but thats not significantly useful, without
> > already having a strong indication of where you're at.
> > You need to have a good idea of how far you are from these stars
> > before their positions in the "sky" are of great use.
>
>
> Two stars will put you somewhere on the surface of a shell. Add a third,
> and you've got yourself a point.

You need FOUR stars. 2 stars and you define a plane. A third star,
you, and the first star define another plane, which intersects the
first plane to form a line. A fourth star, you, and one of the 1st
3 stars defines another plane, which intersects the line at a
point. That's where you are.

--
Robert Woodward
<http://www.drizzle.com/~robertaw>
 >> Stay informed about: Ideas for honorverse space navy improvements? 
Back to top
Login to vote
Ben H

External


Since: Jan 01, 2008
Posts: 9



(Msg. 36) Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:28 am
Post subject: Re: Ideas for honorverse space navy improvements? [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

On Jan 1, 10:54 pm, Don Sample wrote:
> In article ,
>
>  Dahak wrote:
> > On Tue, 01 Jan 2008 22:10:05 -0500, an orbiting mind-control laser
> > made Don Sample write:
>
> > >You just need to put a diffraction grating into the optical path to
> > >smear the light from the stars out into their spectra.  For an example
> > >of how it would work, you just have to take a look at the reflection of
> > >a light in the non-label side of a CD or DVD.
>
> >    Would that not give you an aggregate spectrum for the entire field
> > of view?
>
> > -JPB
>
> Each star will make its own individual streak of colour.
>
> --
> Quando omni flunkus moritati
> Visit the Buffy Body Count at <http://homepage.mac.com/dsample/>

Out of curiosity, how do you intend to keep the various individual
bars seperate? I suppose you could just concentrate on the bright
stars, and take a very, very short exposure photograph, so that you
don't expose the dimmer stars, but I'd still be concerned with the
various spectra bleeding into each other.
 >> Stay informed about: Ideas for honorverse space navy improvements? 
Back to top
Login to vote
Paulon

External


Since: Jan 01, 2008
Posts: 1



(Msg. 37) Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:49 am
Post subject: Re: Ideas for honorverse space navy improvements? [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

With a deafening roar and a whoosh of spray, Don Sample swings about and
addresses the awaiting newsgroup...

> In article ,
> Dahak wrote:
>
>> Traditional navigation rules reassert themselves upon emergence
>> into realspace with a difficulty level dependent on the location at
>> emergence. (Are you in interstellar space? Locating navigation
>> 'landmarks' becomes time consuming.
>
> They're called "stars", and you can see them from really far away.
> Some of the brightest stars in Earth's sky will be visible throughout
> the explored volume of space in the Honorverse. Betelgeuse is over
> 400 light years away, and Rigel is 700. They will be among the
> brightest objects in the sky for *any* of the settled worlds in
> Weber's universe. Getting a navigational fix is something that should
> take only seconds after emerging from hyperspace.

But which star is Betelgeuse, and which is Rigel? Is that really bright
one to starboard a really massive bright star a very long way away or a
dimmer one up close? If you know where you're supposed to be it'd be a
lot easier to tell which stars to look at first to figure out where you
are, but if you don't, you've got to pick a star to start with and start
analysing the spectra to make identifications. That won't be fast.

And if you're relying just on the distances from known stars to
determine your location, how accurately can you analyze the distances
measured in lightyears? There's certain to be a fair margin of error
there.

If you're in a solar system and using the local planets as position
markers, how easy will it be to spot them to determine their relative
positions if they're not inhabited? We're still finding 'planet' sized
bodies in the outer solar system. It took years just to find the known
outer planets, and a small margin of error in a telescope looking for a
planet from an uncertain position would probably make it harder to
locate. Not impossible given navigation charts, but I doubt it'd be an
instantaneous location detection technique either.

--
Paulon Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-
 >> Stay informed about: Ideas for honorverse space navy improvements? 
Back to top
Login to vote
dsample

External


Since: Jul 01, 2004
Posts: 312



(Msg. 38) Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:49 am
Post subject: Re: Ideas for honorverse space navy improvements? [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

In article ,
Paulon wrote:

> With a deafening roar and a whoosh of spray, Don Sample swings about and
> addresses the awaiting newsgroup...
>
> > In article ,
> > Dahak wrote:
> >
> >> Traditional navigation rules reassert themselves upon emergence
> >> into realspace with a difficulty level dependent on the location at
> >> emergence. (Are you in interstellar space? Locating navigation
> >> 'landmarks' becomes time consuming.
> >
> > They're called "stars", and you can see them from really far away.
> > Some of the brightest stars in Earth's sky will be visible throughout
> > the explored volume of space in the Honorverse. Betelgeuse is over
> > 400 light years away, and Rigel is 700. They will be among the
> > brightest objects in the sky for *any* of the settled worlds in
> > Weber's universe. Getting a navigational fix is something that should
> > take only seconds after emerging from hyperspace.
>
> But which star is Betelgeuse, and which is Rigel?

The red one is Betelgueuse, the blue one is Rigel.

> Is that really bright
> one to starboard a really massive bright star a very long way away or a
> dimmer one up close? If you know where you're supposed to be it'd be a
> lot easier to tell which stars to look at first to figure out where you
> are, but if you don't, you've got to pick a star to start with and start
> analysing the spectra to make identifications. That won't be fast.

You could make a widget now that could do the job in seconds. You don't
have to look at individual stars, one by one. One digital photograph of
the whole sky to locate and take the spectra of every star, and then a
little data crunching by a computer to compare them against a database
of stellar spectra.


>
> And if you're relying just on the distances from known stars to
> determine your location, how accurately can you analyze the distances
> measured in lightyears? There's certain to be a fair margin of error
> there.

You triangulate based on the angles between the stars, not how far away
you think they are.

--
Quando omni flunkus moritati
Visit the Buffy Body Count at <http://homepage.mac.com/dsample/>
 >> Stay informed about: Ideas for honorverse space navy improvements? 
Back to top
Login to vote
dsample

External


Since: Jul 01, 2004
Posts: 312



(Msg. 39) Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:49 am
Post subject: Re: Ideas for honorverse space navy improvements? [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

In article ,
Dahak wrote:

> On Tue, 01 Jan 2008 19:12:44 -0500, an orbiting mind-control laser
> made Don Sample write:
>
> >It took you longer to ask that question than the actual operation should
> >take.
> >
> >The most time consuming part of it would be reading the position your
> >computer gives you off its display.
>
> Ooo... good, detailed answer.
>
> Thank you, ever so much.
>
>
> -JPB

Using existing real world technology you could build a digital camera
that would take the spectra of every star in the sky in under a second.
A couple of seconds of processing would extract the spectral finger
prints of all those stars from the photograph. A database lookup to
compare those spectra against the spectra of every known star would take
milliseconds. The calculation to determine your position would take
microseconds.

--
Quando omni flunkus moritati
Visit the Buffy Body Count at <http://homepage.mac.com/dsample/>
 >> Stay informed about: Ideas for honorverse space navy improvements? 
Back to top
Login to vote
dsample

External


Since: Jul 01, 2004
Posts: 312



(Msg. 40) Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:06 am
Post subject: Re: Ideas for honorverse space navy improvements? [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

In article
,
Ben H wrote:

> On Jan 1, 7:52 pm, Don Sample wrote:
> > In article
> > ,
> >  Ben H wrote:
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > > On Jan 1, 4:21 pm, Dahak
> > > wrote:
> > > > On Tue, 01 Jan 2008 15:39:01 -0500, an orbiting mind-control laser
> > > > made Don Sample write:
> >
> > > > >>        Recall that the /Harvest Joy/, a ship expressly designed to
> > > > >> explore potentially random spots took a vague, but significant,
> > > > >> non-trivial amount of time to determine her position upon her
> > > > >> arrival
> > > > >> at Lynx.
> >
> > > > >Which was something that was patently silly.
> >
> > > >         So... you'll ignore it.
> >
> > > >         OK, how long do you expect it should take to do an all-sky
> > > > survey,
> > > > filter out the hundred brightest stars, then develop detailed enough
> > > > spectrograms on each one to run against your database?
> >
> > > > -JPB
> >
> > > *shrug*
> > > I'm just an amateur astronomer, so there might be better informed
> > > heads in these lofty circles, but analyzing just the brightest
> > > _hundred_ stars shouldn't be difficult, or time consuming at all. The
> > > warships after all carry optics capable of picking up a mere spaceship
> > > at considerable ranges, running a spectrogram on a particularly bright
> > > star should be easy.
> >
> > > The problem comes with figuring out just what the hell that means.
> > > Sure I can say "Betelgeuse is over there, and thirty degrees east of
> > > it there's Arcturus" but thats not significantly useful, without
> > > already having a strong indication of where you're at.
> > > You need to have a good idea of how far you are from these stars
> > > before their positions in the "sky" are of great use.
> >
> > Two stars will put you somewhere on the surface of a shell. Add a third,
> > and you've got yourself a point.
> >
> > --
> > Quando omni flunkus moritati
> > Visit the Buffy Body Count at <http://homepage.mac.com/dsample/>- Hide
> > quoted text -
> >
> > - Show quoted text -
>
> I don't rightly understand what you're getting at.
> If I found myself in a foreign star system, and was able to correctly
> identify the stars Betelgeuse, Rigel and Aldebaaran, what good does
> that do me?

Measuring the angles between those three stars will give you your exact
position in space. There is only be one point in the universe where
those three stars will appear in that configuration.




> I can't triangulate my position until I know where I am in relation to
> the stars, which requires knowing the distances. Measuring the
> distance to a star like Rigel would require the use of parallax, which
> takes longer then scanning the stars, saying Ope! There's Rigel!

You don't need to measure the distance to anything. You just need the
angles. High school trigonometry will let you calculate how far away
they are.

--
Quando omni flunkus moritati
Visit the Buffy Body Count at <http://homepage.mac.com/dsample/>
 >> Stay informed about: Ideas for honorverse space navy improvements? 
Back to top
Login to vote
dahak_ii

External


Since: Jul 03, 2003
Posts: 132



(Msg. 41) Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:23 am
Post subject: Re: Ideas for honorverse space navy improvements? [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

On Tue, 01 Jan 2008 20:49:49 -0500, an orbiting mind-control laser
made Don Sample write:

>Using existing real world technology you could build a digital camera
>that would take the spectra of every star in the sky in under a second.

I would find that difficult to believe for a random starfield.

-JPB
 >> Stay informed about: Ideas for honorverse space navy improvements? 
Back to top
Login to vote
dsample

External


Since: Jul 01, 2004
Posts: 312



(Msg. 42) Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:31 am
Post subject: Re: Ideas for honorverse space navy improvements? [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

In article ,
Dahak wrote:

> On Tue, 01 Jan 2008 20:49:49 -0500, an orbiting mind-control laser
> made Don Sample write:
>
> >Using existing real world technology you could build a digital camera
> >that would take the spectra of every star in the sky in under a second.
>
> I would find that difficult to believe for a random starfield.
>
> -JPB

It doesn't matter how random the star field. One photograph gives you
the position and spectrum of every star in it.

--
Quando omni flunkus moritati
Visit the Buffy Body Count at <http://homepage.mac.com/dsample/>
 >> Stay informed about: Ideas for honorverse space navy improvements? 
Back to top
Login to vote
dsample

External


Since: Jul 01, 2004
Posts: 312



(Msg. 43) Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:34 am
Post subject: Re: Ideas for honorverse space navy improvements? [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

In article ,
"Robert A. Woodward" wrote:

> In article ,
> Don Sample wrote:
>
> > In article
> > ,
> > Ben H wrote:
> >
> > > On Jan 1, 4:21 pm, Dahak
> > > wrote:
> > > > On Tue, 01 Jan 2008 15:39:01 -0500, an orbiting mind-control laser
> > > > made Don Sample write:
> > > >
> > > > >> Recall that the /Harvest Joy/, a ship expressly designed to
> > > > >> explore potentially random spots took a vague, but significant,
> > > > >> non-trivial amount of time to determine her position upon her
> > > > >> arrival
> > > > >> at Lynx.
> > > >
> > > > >Which was something that was patently silly.
> > > >
> > > > So... you'll ignore it.
> > > >
> > > > OK, how long do you expect it should take to do an all-sky
> > > > survey,
> > > > filter out the hundred brightest stars, then develop detailed enough
> > > > spectrograms on each one to run against your database?
> > > >
> > > > -JPB
> > >
> > >
> > > *shrug*
> > > I'm just an amateur astronomer, so there might be better informed
> > > heads in these lofty circles, but analyzing just the brightest
> > > _hundred_ stars shouldn't be difficult, or time consuming at all. The
> > > warships after all carry optics capable of picking up a mere spaceship
> > > at considerable ranges, running a spectrogram on a particularly bright
> > > star should be easy.
> > >
> > > The problem comes with figuring out just what the hell that means.
> > > Sure I can say "Betelgeuse is over there, and thirty degrees east of
> > > it there's Arcturus" but thats not significantly useful, without
> > > already having a strong indication of where you're at.
> > > You need to have a good idea of how far you are from these stars
> > > before their positions in the "sky" are of great use.
> >
> >
> > Two stars will put you somewhere on the surface of a shell. Add a third,
> > and you've got yourself a point.
>
> You need FOUR stars. 2 stars and you define a plane. A third star,
> you, and the first star define another plane, which intersects the
> first plane to form a line. A fourth star, you, and one of the 1st
> 3 stars defines another plane, which intersects the line at a
> point. That's where you are.

The angle between stars A and B gives you one plane
The angle between stars B and C gives you a second plane.
The angle between stars A and C gives you a third plane.

--
Quando omni flunkus moritati
Visit the Buffy Body Count at <http://homepage.mac.com/dsample/>
 >> Stay informed about: Ideas for honorverse space navy improvements? 
Back to top
Login to vote
robertaw

External


Since: Oct 03, 2004
Posts: 80



(Msg. 44) Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:34 am
Post subject: Re: Ideas for honorverse space navy improvements? [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

In article ,
Don Sample wrote:

> In article ,
> "Robert A. Woodward" wrote:
>
> > In article ,
> > Don Sample wrote:
> >
> > > In article
> > > ,
> > > Ben H wrote:
> > >
> > > > On Jan 1, 4:21 pm, Dahak
> > > > wrote:
> > > > > On Tue, 01 Jan 2008 15:39:01 -0500, an orbiting mind-control laser
> > > > > made Don Sample write:
> > > > >
> > > > > >> Recall that the /Harvest Joy/, a ship expressly designed to
> > > > > >> explore potentially random spots took a vague, but significant,
> > > > > >> non-trivial amount of time to determine her position upon her
> > > > > >> arrival
> > > > > >> at Lynx.
> > > > >
> > > > > >Which was something that was patently silly.
> > > > >
> > > > > So... you'll ignore it.
> > > > >
> > > > > OK, how long do you expect it should take to do an all-sky
> > > > > survey,
> > > > > filter out the hundred brightest stars, then develop detailed enough
> > > > > spectrograms on each one to run against your database?
> > > > >
> > > > > -JPB
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > *shrug*
> > > > I'm just an amateur astronomer, so there might be better informed
> > > > heads in these lofty circles, but analyzing just the brightest
> > > > _hundred_ stars shouldn't be difficult, or time consuming at all. The
> > > > warships after all carry optics capable of picking up a mere spaceship
> > > > at considerable ranges, running a spectrogram on a particularly bright
> > > > star should be easy.
> > > >
> > > > The problem comes with figuring out just what the hell that means.
> > > > Sure I can say "Betelgeuse is over there, and thirty degrees east of
> > > > it there's Arcturus" but thats not significantly useful, without
> > > > already having a strong indication of where you're at.
> > > > You need to have a good idea of how far you are from these stars
> > > > before their positions in the "sky" are of great use.
> > >
> > >
> > > Two stars will put you somewhere on the surface of a shell. Add a third,
> > > and you've got yourself a point.
> >
> > You need FOUR stars. 2 stars and you define a plane. A third star,
> > you, and the first star define another plane, which intersects the
> > first plane to form a line. A fourth star, you, and one of the 1st
> > 3 stars defines another plane, which intersects the line at a
> > point. That's where you are.
>
> The angle between stars A and B gives you one plane
> The angle between stars B and C gives you a second plane.
> The angle between stars A and C gives you a third plane.

Stars A, B, and C form a plane. There are two points that give you
those angles; one "above" the plane and one "below".

--
Robert Woodward
<http://www.drizzle.com/~robertaw>
 >> Stay informed about: Ideas for honorverse space navy improvements? 
Back to top
Login to vote
dahak_ii

External


Since: Jul 03, 2003
Posts: 132



(Msg. 45) Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:36 am
Post subject: Re: Ideas for honorverse space navy improvements? [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

On Tue, 01 Jan 2008 21:31:34 -0500, an orbiting mind-control laser
made Don Sample write:

>In article ,
> Dahak wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 01 Jan 2008 20:49:49 -0500, an orbiting mind-control laser
>> made Don Sample write:
>>
>> >Using existing real world technology you could build a digital camera
>> >that would take the spectra of every star in the sky in under a second.
>>
>> I would find that difficult to believe for a random starfield.
>>
>> -JPB
>
>It doesn't matter how random the star field. One photograph gives you
>the position and spectrum of every star in it.

Perhaps you could provide some links to explain how this would be
done.

Not being a field I know, I could believe an aggregate spectra for
the entire field of view... I could believe the azimuth and elevation
for every star in the FOV... but not both from a single exposure.


-JPB
 >> Stay informed about: Ideas for honorverse space navy improvements? 
Back to top
Login to vote
Display posts from previous:   
Related Topics:
Maps of the Honorverse - Hi, I am new to this group. I have been searching the web looking for maps of the "Honorverse". I have found several but not in the detail I am interested in. They are all "schematic" but I am more interested in x/y coordinate syst...

Honorverse Cosplay? - So, I've gotten it in my head to do a Honor Harrington cosplay of some sort for sci-fi cons in Texas. I'm kind of a short guy, so I figured I might cosplay as a Grayson officer. Any suggestions on how to do this? I was thinking getting a surplus Air...

Getting the whole honorverse in one bundle - Hi, Could you suggest the best Internet place to get the whole HH series (all 17 books so far) in one bundle (in US)? What's the best deal on such a wholesale (both hardcover and paperback series)? thanks

Honorverse: Dramatis Personae - Hi everybody, is there a list in the web with all the people acting in the different stories? Such that it is possible to find out when e.g. Alice Truman possessed what rank? TIA Michael Dahms

Honorverse: Body Count? - If you consider the Manticore-Haven war as starting in "On Basilisk Station," has anyone ever worked out total casualty figures for the Manties, the Peeps, and the Graysons respectively? Compared and contrasted to any total population data we m...
   Book Forums (Home) -> David Weber All times are: Pacific Time (US & Canada)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 3 of 5

 
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Warning: fopen(/home/adsense_reject.txt) [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/autoforu/public_html/Giga/GigaFunctions.php on line 1142

Warning: fwrite(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /home/autoforu/public_html/Giga/GigaFunctions.php on line 1143

Warning: fclose(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /home/autoforu/public_html/Giga/GigaFunctions.php on line 1144



[ Contact us | Terms of Service/Privacy Policy ]